EXCUSED VS. UNEXCUSED ABSENCES
In order for an absence to be considered excused, the student must provide an acceptable form of documentation to the administrative assistant. The documentation must be turned in either prior to the absence or within 2 full academic days upon return to school from the absence. If no documentation is provided, the absence is considered unexcused. The following criteria will be used when determining excuse status.
- ILLNESS OR FAMILY EMERGENCY (1 to 3 days): When a student must be absent due to an illness or family emergency, the “parent or legal guardian” should telephone the school as soon as possible, and not later than 1:00 p.m. on the day missed. Parents should call on each day of absence unless an extended leave has been arranged for more serious situations. Should the parent/legal guardian be unable to call the school on the day affected, a written note explaining the nature of the absence may be submitted to the registrar upon the student’s return to school.
- ILLNESS OR FAMILY EMERGENCY (4 or more days): A note from a doctor is required for any absences due to illness beyond 3 days.
- NON-ILLNESS (no more than 1 day): Documentation of the circumstances necessitating a missed day for non-illness may include sales receipt (e.g. for a replaced tire), copy of ticket or citation, or copy of accident report.
- RELIGIOUS OBSERVANCE: Students are allowed to make-up work for any days missed for religious observance. Please provide a note to explain the absence.
- UNEXCUSED ABSENCES: An unexcused absence is any absence for which the school has not been notified. Any work missed due to unexcused absences will be counted as zero (0). Excessive unexcused absences (4 or more) could result in discussion with the Principal, assignment of school detention or specified work hours, or suspension at administration’s discretion.
Notes from parents excusing absences must include:
- the DATE(S) of the absence
- the STUDENT’S name
- the REASON for the absence
- SIGNED and DATED by the parent or legal guardian
Notes missing any of the above information will not be accepted.
Chaparral Star Academy truancy policy is contained in the Student Handbook as Appendix “G”.
 Approved by the Governing Board at the August 12, 2009 board meeting